Question

Sierra Leone
Please can you tell me what the risks are for my 3 year old son if we go to Sierra Leone? What preventative measures can I take for malaria and any other disease he may get?
Travel expert
Travel expert

Hi Jenny,

Firstly taking a 3-yr-old into a Malaria area is not recommended. If there is no alternative, then all preventative measures to stop mosquito bites must be put in place, as well as prescribing either Malanil Paediatric or Larium according to weight.

He will have to have the Yellow fever vaccination unless allergic to eggs or chicken. He should be up to date with all his EPI vaccinations. A Hep A vaccination and MMR should be considered.

If it is long term, then Rabies vaccination should be contemplated as the little ones are the most susceptible to animal bites.

Pete