Question

Sinus - allergy to dairy products
I am using rice milk as a substitute for cow;s milk. Could you please advise on the fat content and kilojoule content of rice milk.

Dear Jenny
The SA Food Tables do not list rice milk, so I must admit that I do not have any info on this product. If you are allergic to dairy products you can also use soy milk (SoFresh for example which you find on the long-life shelves in the supermarket), which contains nearly as much calcium as cow's milk (it is important to ensure that you are still getting sufficient calcium even if you don't use dairy products). Soy milk lists the energy and fat content. Does the rice milk not list anything on its label? If the product is made only of rice then it would have a negligible fat content, but I cannot hazard a guess as to its energy content because I do not know how much water and how much rice the beverage contains.