Question

sinusses?
Hi Doc....my mom is struggling with a painfull swollen cheekbone, feels swollen down her face, towards her ear and on the side of her nose. She often gets terrible earinfections....She saw the ENT specialist 1 month ago who took xrays and scan her sinusses to rule out any cancer. He treated bad earinfection with drops. She says it is even painfull in her gums. She is worried that this could be due to some kind of nerve in her face that might even be pinched in her neck....Do you have any idea what is going on or who needs to be consulted?
Thanx

Madre

It is possible that she is experiencing neuralgic pain due to shingles. This pain can be present without a rash. I suggest that she consults a neurologist for a full examination and treatment. Another possibility is Herpes Simplex that causes inflammation around the nerve supplying the face of sensation. The pain is not caused due to nerve impinchment in her neck, as facial sensation is supplied from the cranial nerves and not nerves from the cervical spine.