Ask an expert

30 Jul 2010

Sister in law problem
I am married for a year now and we have always been disagreeing with my inlaws, I can see that they dont like me because I can see what they are doing, I found this man with 2 daughters the one of his own and the other one belonged to his brother, they are both teenagers, some other time this year I got ill and was hospitalised and one of them did not sleep in the house (his brother''s one) he decided to take her back home but his sister said he cant do that she will take her, he decided to tell her that because he has already paid the school fee his sister better take the teenager to a public school where she will not pay, but guess what, she took her to a very expensive school about R700 a month and now she says my husband must pay, he told her that no I told you I will never pay, what do we need to do because my husband I am telling you likes her sister very much she said no she is right and now the thing is he is forgetting that we are a joing thing what will happen to the other daughter of his, you know money can make us divorce because now it seems as though he budgets for his sister every month for the daughter that is with her, what do I need to do I always tell him that we need to be one and whatever we are discussing we need to come out as one no one must come in between us, but he does not listen what do I do, please assist.
Answer 374 views

01 Jan 0001

Sounds like the sister is being greedy and selfish and thoughtless. She is not entitled to spend his money or to dictate to him how he should spend his own money. Why can't the sister work and earn her own living ? And if she was married, why isn't her husband paying maintenance for his child ?
And chance of persuading your husband to join you in somem marriage counselling ? Both to sort out these specific problems, and to work out and agree on a betyter way for the pair of you to solve other problems as they arise ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.