Question

31 May 2011

Sivan
Due to differences and things said I stopped sending money for my two boys.
I am GOING to pay, I just need the mother to explain some issues to me.Right now she is ignoring my calls because she knows the issues.
The court wants to see me and her (and for me to give my side in terms of what I can pay) in the next three weeks.
Do I need to lay this complaint beforehand in the court near me ?This is about things she SAID that stopped me from giving her anything.
Advise on the process as I don''t want to put my children through this for any longer.
Family law expert
family law expert

You can't withhold maintenance from your children due to an issue with the mother. Both parents have a legal duty to support their children. The law says that children whose parents do not give them reasonable care can sue their parents.

The duty of parents to support their children ends when the children become independent, for example when they marry, or when they reach the age of 18 and are self-supporting.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8000
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Blog: www.divorceattorneys.wordpress.com Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys