Question

Size of the Follicle = Conceive
. I understand that the follicle should reach 18, 20mm+ maturity to be able to release to conceive. Can someone conceive with the follicle below the latter millimetres?

2. I also understand that in a normal cycle, the follicle grows at least 2mm per day ......... is this applicable to an irregular cycle?

The reason I asked these 2 questions is that I have an irregular cycle and had seen a gynae. I had a US on the 10 days after my period and my follcile measured 13mm. I went again 48 hours for another US and there was no chnage in the size....13mm. I will be going again tommorrow for another US to see whether there has been any change. Is this a normal thing? Based on your experience....what is the problem? Fertility doctor, please advice me cos I am worried and desperate to have a baby.

Thank you for your understanding.

fertility expert

Dear Cherie

The follicle needs to reach maturity size of 18-20 mm. Follicles below 18mm generally do notovulate or release the egg. However, if a transvaginal aspiraion of such a follicle, ie under 18mm, is performed, quite often an egg can be obtained in this manner. It is also possible to retieve an egg in follicles that are 8-10mm. These eggs however are extremely immature and need to be matured in a laboratory by a process called in vitro maturation. However in a natural sponatneous cycle it is unlikely that folliclesbelow 18mm will ovulate sponatneously. The rate of growth of 2mm per day is applicable to even to patients with irregular cycles. The provison to that is even the irregular cycle should not be secondary to underlynig Polycytic ovarian disease( PCOD) . It is not uncommon for patients with PCOD to have follicles arresting at 14-15 mm and this is possibly whatis happening in your case.