Question

Skim / Low Fat milk

I have just discovered that I am pregnant (very surprising / very exciting) ... just wondered if I should switch from skim milk to Low Fat, or is skim okay? What should I add to my diet (I eat a normal balanced dieat) - if anything? And lastly, I don't like milk - can I add about 2 tsp of nesquick once a day?

Thank you!!!!

Dear NewlyPreg
Congratulations on your pregnancy - you must be so pleased, as am I for you. Pregnant Moms need to have at least 3-4 cups of low-fat milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day to provide the 1200 mg of calcium you and baby need every day. You can add the Nequick to milk if it makes it more palatable for you and also use the other dairy options like yoghurt and cottage cheese to supplement your milk intake. You can also use the milk to make custard and dishes like rice pudding if you don't like the taste of milk on its own. Yes, it's fine to eat a normal balanced diet and except for the calcium, some additional iron (the dr or gynae will prescribe this for you) and Omega-3 which you can obtain from Salmon oil capsules, you really don't need anything else. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on pregnancy.
Enjoy your pregnancy