Question

SKIN & BONES
I'm 18 yr old boy. 1.89m tall. 48kg. I eat normal. I don't excercise much. Desperately wants to gain weight.

Dear Paul
Your present BMI of 13,3 is very, very low. It would be desirable for you to gain at least 20 kg so that your BMI = 19, which would put you back in the normal range (18-25). It may be a good idea to have a medical checkup just to rule out underlying problems such as hyperthyroidism and malabsorption. Because it is just as difficult to gain weight, as to lose it in individuals who are overweight, I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information do a Search on the Health24 Website with 'To gain weight' and read the articles. I have just heard that Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this Nutritional Supplement.