Question

Skinny sister
Please help

My sister is 32 and her daughter is just over 1 year old. She is still breastfeeding. She is looking terribly thin - VERY close to anorexic!! She claims that breastfeeding is making her so thin because she IS eating.

I'm not so sure I believe her because she's getting thinner and thinner everyday and even though she's told me she's going to stop breastfeeding because of this - she is in fact still feeding almost full time!!!
She's going to become a skeleton and I don't know what to do - I just have a feeling that something is not lekker!

Is it possible that breastfeeding could be causing such drastic and rapid weight loss?

CFS, we sometimes see that people lose weight rapidly when they breastfeed and per se, this isn’t a problem. The problem is that she loses weight because her kilojoule expenditure is higher than her intake and this will be carried over to the baby – now this is a bad thing as it will cause the baby to become malnourished. She will have to find out what her ideal weight is (Mass/(heightxheight) must be 20 – 25) and if she can’t manage that, she will have to see her doctor as it might be due to something serious. Good luck.