Question

Sleep Therapy Feedback
Good day CS.
Thank you so much for your valued advise the other day.
I called the doc again to make sure about the treatment/procedure.
It was explained to me, that it is definately NOT sleep therapy, but what they do is admit you into hospital for evaluation and have a psychologist come see me. I don't get any meds to sleep, but only anti-depressants and tranquilisers.
Is this treatment common?

Valkyrie, if your mom actually received the undeniably quack Sleep therapy, you are really lucky she is still alive. No competent shrink on earth has any excuse for providing this noxious treatment. I totally agree with ... --- over 6 weeks, many of us change, irrespective of the mumbo-jumbo treatment we're being charged for.
Bibi, I'm relieved to hear that, at least from what you have been told, Sleep Therapy is not what they're planning for you. I still don't understand the plan. You can asily see any psychologist as an outpatient, with no need for all the extra expense of a hospital admission, and similarly, one can start antidepressants and tranquillizers as an outpatient, with no need for admission. Similarly, any psychiatrist can evaluate you as an outpatient, too. On occasion, though not very often, if for some reason the diagnosis seems obscure but important, then one may admiot someone to hospital for observation, so that trained and skilled nurses can keep an eye on you and observe how you behave through the 24 hours ---but in a general hospital, without a bunch of specially psychiatrically trained nurses, I know that ordinary nurses would be unlikely to be capable of making psychiatrically useful observations, and would generall be so busy as to be unable to have the time to do so.
If you have given your doctor reason to fear that you may be suicidally depressed, he may want you to be in the possible safety of a hospital with staff around to support you, but otherwise, I'm still puzzled by this plan.
If you do decide to go ahead with this, rather than seek a second independent opinion, do make sure that family and friends will visit you regularly and frequently, and that they know that you have refused to give consent for Sleep Therapy, and should be awake through the day, like any other normal person.