Question

"SLOW-MAG"
I have a spastic colon and on many occasions feel constipated. I therefore stopped taking calcium supplements and was advised by a chemist to take a supplement called "Slow-Mag". On the box it says "COMPOSITION - Enteric coated tablets containing Magnesium Chloride 535mg". Does this mean per tablet? I thought that magnesium requirements for a woman of my age is about 310mg of magnesium (I'm 25 years old). Is there a difference between magnesium and magnesium chloride. The box says I should take 3 - 4 tablets a day which I cont understand if each tablet has 535mg of MC. Can you please help me understand this better? I'm also not sure why he advised me to take this - what does Slow-Mag do other then give me sufficient magnesium?

Clar, it contains 535mg magnesium per tablet, but not all of it gets absorbed from the gut. The body will absorb what it needs and the rest will be excreted. The magnesium that stays behind in the gut will make the stools soft and take care of the constipation. Too much magnesium may cause diarrhoea though. Good luck.