Question

"SLOW-mAG"
I have a spastic colon and on many occasions feel constipated. I therefore stopped taking calcium supplements and was advised by a chemist to take a supplement called "Slow-Mag". On the box it says "COMPOSITION - Enteric coated tablets containing Magnesium Chloride 535mg". Does this mean per tablet? I thought that magnesium requirements for a woman of my age is about 310mg of magnesium (I'm 25 years old). Is there a difference between magnesium and magnesium chloride. The box says I should take 3 - 4 tablets a day which I cont understand if each tablet has 535mg of MC. Can you please help me understand this better? I'm also not sure why he advised me to take this - what does Slow-Mag do other then give me sufficient magnesium?

Dear Clar
The SA magnesium RDA for adult women is 400 mg per day, so if you don't have a magnesium deficiency, then one tablet containing 535 mg should be more than sufficient. I can only surmise that the chemist recommended the magnesium supplement to assist peristalsis to prevent constipation, because magnesium salts have a laxative effect. Magnesium chloride is generally speaking less aggravating to the bowels than magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) which is used by some individuals for constipation. I don't understand why you have stopped taking calcium supplements? Were they making you constipated? If so, try using Calcium Sandoz effervescent tablets which should not make you constipated.