Question

small lump in the throat
Hi there

I am a little worried about a small little marble like gland in my 3 yr olds throat. I have taken her to our GP and now have an appointment to see the paediatrician next week but I would like to have another opinion in the meantime. The gp says it seems like a lymph node (she has been for a blood test and all is normal) but it sounds very vague. The only way I can describe where it is if you slide your finger from your chin down, past the adams apple you will eventually get a deep hole just before your chest. Its in there. There is no pain but we just noticed it there. Not too sure if its always been there. What do you think it might be?

Dear Daniela

My first thought would also be a lymph gland but one does not often see this in this area in kids.

It could be a thyroglossal cyst , especially if the bloods are normal. See if it moves if she sticks her tongue out or swallow - then it is attached to the thyroid. This is caused by some foetal tissue left behind during the baby's development and is not harmful, can be removed if very obvious or painful.
http://www.eapsa.org/parents/thyroglossal.cfm