Question

small meals spread throughout day?
I constantly read that it is best to spread your meals into smaller portions throughout the day to keep your blood sugar stable and to avoid spikes and avoid hunger. I''ve tried this, as it sound beneficial, but always gain weight this way even if i''m not consuming more kilojoules than i otherwise would, and sticking to low GI foods aslo makes no difference. The small meals throughout idea seems odd to me, you eat even if you are not hungry, and doesn''t it mean insulin production is " artificially"  turned on all the time? Is this good? or am I missing something!?

Dear GiGi
Using a 'nibbling' diet instead of a 'gorging' diet has been found to help most people lose weight, BUT only if you nibble healthy, low-fat, high-fibre foods. If you are an exception to this finding then you need to use a different approach to weightloss and weight maintenance.
From a prehistoric perspective, our distant ancestors probably existed on a 'nibbling' diet and ate foods like nuts, fruit, roots and bird's eggs when they found them.
The idea with 'nibbling' is to maintain blood sugar at a constant level and to avoid sharp drops in blood sugar which would constantly stimulate insulin secretion.