Question

Smelly breath kitty.
Hi, My baby girl (15 months) has had smelly breath since we got her from the SPCA at 3 mnths. She eats Whiskas dry food and the Whiskas pouches. Her teeth are in purrfect condition. My male cat eats the same and has no smelly breath. Is there anythinng I can give her to change the situation ?
cybervet

If her mouth is completely healthy, it is possible that she has an infection with bacteria that causes bad breath. This can be treated very successfully with a course of antibiotics, especially metronidazole or a penicillin. Your vet can fully examined the mouth for any signs of dental problems, and if he finds the breath to be a normal, he may possibly prescribe antibiotics, as long as there are no other physical abnormalities that may lead to the problem.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town