Question

24 Apr 2006

Snake problem
My king snake has not eaten for 3wks now. She is loosing weight. I originally thought that the mice I was giving her was maybe fed on low grade dog food...... as she vomited everytime I fed her. So I changed suppliers.

Now she just strikes at the mouse a few times and then gives up.

What could be the problem? And if she wants to hibernate, what do I have to do (temperature, lighting, shelter etc)?
cybervet

If your snake is losing weight I would have it checked out by a reptile vet - especially if it has been preceded by vomiting up meals. This could well indicate an underlying parasite infection, cryptosporidium or even a severe bacterial infection. Temperate snakes hibernate quite well in our inland climate and do not need anything specific added. Make sure she has a safe hiding spot at all times - they can become very stressed if deprived of this. If your snake is sick and thin, I would avoid hibernation, treat the underlying disease and keep the temperature and light cycle up to keep the metabolism going.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian