Question

Snoring
Hi doc,

Please help because I feel as if I can kill my husband. I have chucked him out of my room more than a year ago. He now sleeps in the spare room. If we go on holiday it is like a nightmare because we have to share the same bed. I am sitting in my study at the moment and can hear him. We want to go on a romantic holiday this year and review our vows. How on earth can I do that when I want to put a pillow over his head and suffocate him because his snoring drives me up the wall. We cannot afford to pay for surgery at this stage which the docter couldn't even guarantee would work the first time. How can I go on holiday with him without having to book 2 separate rooms. Is there anything else we can try? He of course smokes like a chimney which doesn't help.

Dear MP
Snoring is caused by the soft tissue of the back of the mouth and throat vibrating when you relax during sleep. Some people have a genetic tendency, some snore because of being overweight or having allergies or having loose tissue in that area. There are many so–called snoring treatments on sale on the internet, but most don’t work. Snoring can be dangerous and increase your risk for heart attacks, strokes or high blood pressure. For a comprehensive article see: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/snoring/DS00297/DSECTION=1
Try a dental mouth piece or nasal strips for him and earplugs for yourself?