Question

Snoring Child
Hi there,

My 2 year old is getting over an Upper Respiratory Infection, which seems to happen every two months. Because of this he is snoring but the GP said his adenoids look normal. His nose only seems blocked at night, when he is up and running about, he does not struggle to breathe through his nose.

I have been using Chamilfor nose spray, but stopped for a while as he had a slight nose bleed.

I don''t like surgery, is there an alternative?

I would like to take him for an ENT check up but just need some info first.

Thank you for your time.
ENT Expert
ENT Expert

Dear Shoes

One can not give an opinion om the size of the adenoids without special investigations. This is a direct examination like a naso-endoscopy (not well tolerated in a 2 year old), or perhaps a soft tissue X-ray of the post nasal space.
I agree you need an ENT to examine your son and make a diagnosis and desicion on future management.
If there is a clearly identifiable cause such as allergies, this should be treated first.
If nothing helps, surgery to remove the adenoids is strongly recommened, as the adenoidal pad can effect the bacterial balance in the area. The longterm effects of not adressing prolonged snoring in a child, may lead to other longterm problems. Medical management may be tried, but if this does not work, surgery is important, and hould be considered.