Ask an expert

13 Jun 2011

Snoring husband
My husband (54years) snore quite heavily and this is causing real sleeping problems for me. We already have a routine where I go to bed long before him, and I also use a mild sleeping tablet that my GP has prescribed for a few months and sleep with ear plugs, but I still cannot manage to sleep with him. I usually get up by ±  00:30 and go sleep in another room or we end up fighting in the middle of the night. Is there any thing that can be done medically?
Answer 347 views
ENT Expert
ENT Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Marita

Your husband needs an ENT examination to establish a possible cause for the snoring, as the problem is often multi-factorial. Nasal problems may respond to topical steroids, and problems lower down may respond to certain sleeping aids concentrating on the position of the mandible. These suggestions are academic, as he needs an examination to try and locate the source/cause of the problem. Sometimes a sleepstudy if helpful to exclude sleep apnoea, in which case the management is different. There is no easy solution to snoring, as every case is unique. Some cases will only respond to surgery, but this is usually a last option, as the conservative route should always be tried first.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18743 votes