Question

30 May 2011

social phobia - eating in front of people
Need help! Living with this for 15 years. Turn down all invites and now even so bad that I cannot eat with my own family. So scared to make a fool of myself by choking. Have used anti depressants for years and anxiety became even worse.

This is not related to depression at all, though it can indeed sometimes improve when one takes some antidepressants. But the good news is that it should clear up very well to treatment. One should see a psychologist who provides CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can help you to unlearn this unpleasant fear / anxiety and bad habit. You could, before long, be not merely no longer avoiding public meals, but enjoying them.