Question

Sodium -Whats so bad
Hi, I am 49yrs, female. Why is sodium so bad for one. What amount of Miso should I be taking weekly. At the moment I have a heaped teaspoonful in a cup of hot water every night. I find it keeps me very regular. Thanks

Dear Eckles
Sodium in small quantities is not bad for humans and we actually need about 3g of sodium a day to maintain the so-called electrolyte balance. However, when sodium is ingested in large quantities (exceeding 3g per day) either due to adding lots of table salt to foods or eating processed foods that contain a lot of sodium (soy sauce, soup powders, etc), it can lead to hypertension or high blood pressure and/or kidney damage. Miso is a concentrate which is produced from soya, rice and barley or wheat which is combined with sea salt and fermented for up to 2 years. It will therefore contain quite a lot of sodium, so use it in small quantities.