Question

Sore achilles tendons
For the past year I have had extremely painful achilles tendons. They have now thickened and have lumps in them. When I first get up in the morning I can barely walk. By the end of the day, though they are very tender they seem to have "warmed up" and are not so painful. I am a fit woman of 44 and keep fit by swimming. Now though it has become too painful to kick and long walks with my dog have become something of a mission because of the pain. What do you think it could be from and what shall I do? Who do I see about something like this?

Kaz, it might be due to chronic inflammation of the tendons and the best would probably to see an orthopaedic surgeon about it. He will probably start by giving you cortisone injections and if that doesn’t work, he might have to operate. Good luck.