Question

23 Apr 2006

sore and swollen tummy
hi, i have got a very swollen belly, i can stick it out so far and its so uncomfortable. I have had it for a while now, and it wont go away. a couple of weeks ago i had a stomach bug and was Nauseous alot, but the doctor gave me some tablets to treat the bug.i was Nauseous the week after, but think that was cos my tummy was still tender. Its just i feel i can never wear tops that are tight and actually never feel like going out cos i feel almost "pregnant" i had ibs a few years ago in matric, could it be back?

Dear Reader
From what you say, your IBS could very well have recurred. Please go back to the dr ASAP and describe the symptoms to him/her so that we can obtain the correct diagnosis to see if you need to change your diet. In the meanwhile try taking probiotics ("good bugs") such as Bifidoforte (buy at health shops) to restore the normal balance of your intestinal microorganisms after the infection and the antibiotics. Also take the Bifidoforte for a month of so to see if this improves the swollen tummy or IBS, because research indicates that probiotics can help for such conditions.
Hope you feel better soon.