Question

Sore feet
Hi,<br>I have problems with my feet-when standing up I find it difficult to walk because my feet are really sore and I have to walk hunched for a little while until my feet stop paining. Also, I have had injections in both feet for bony heel spurs and also have bunions. I can''t stand long on my feet then they become really painful (entire foot itself, not just heels).I am 41, female, am 1.71. and slightly overweight. I have size 9 feet. There are no podiatrists in my area (Kroonstad, Free State). Please assist.
Podiatrist
podiatrist

Thank you for your e-mail Cal, by what you have described to me, it sounds as if you in great need to consult with a podiatrist (special interest in biomechanics) for a full biomechanical examination and gait assessment. They would then be able to advise you on the correct shoewear, customade orthotics and physiotherapy treatment. Contact the Podiatry Association of South Africa for the nearest podiatrist to you when you go into any of the big centres in SA again.
In the meantime, only wear supportive cushioning shoes, don't walk barefeet, massage your feet daily with a topical anti-inflammatory oil eg Arnica oil (as long as you don't have any allergies and you could also soaking your feet in ice water (as long as your skin is intact, you are NOT diabetic and have NO circulatory problems) twice a day for 5-10 minutes at a time. I would suggest that you consult with your local physiotherapist that could assess your muscle strength and tightness in both legs and feet and treat it accordingly. She can also give you some rehabilitative exercises to strengthen weak muscles.