Question

Sore finger joints
My boyfriend has sore finger joints, and we were wondering if this could be the start of arthritis or incorrect diet - ie too much red meat? He is 31 years old and we both own a restaurant so his hands are always busy. This has occured just recently but the pain will not go away. Please advise!

Spider, it’s sounds like it’s due to a form of arthritis, but it’s difficult to say what the cause of the arthritis is from this side of the screen. It might be due to a virus (most likely), but I suppose that a high uric acid (gout) and wear and tear (osteoarthritis) are also strong contenders. The best would probably be for him to take some anti-inflammatories (Arthrotec®, Brufen®, Celebrex®, etc) for 3-5 days and see if doesn’t want to go away. If it doesn’t, he should have blood taken for an arthritis screen to make sure that it’s not due to a systemic disease. He can also have x-rays taken, but i doubt that they will show much at his age. Good luck.