Ask an expert

25 Jul 2011

Sore inside
I posted about a month ago. 2 months ago I had a upper respiratory tract inflammation. Was coughing somewhat. Am a smoker. 5 weeks ago I started feeling really sore inside. Just behind my right breast. You advised myprodol for a week and suspected intercostal muscles to be the culprit. I did that, the pain did not subside. Went to my GP two weeks ago, he diagnosed Thoracic facet joint inflammation. He prescribed anti-inflammatories and a few sessions with the pysiotherapist. Went to see the pysio last Friday - she talks about deep tissue and intercostal confilict. Today I saw her again for another session and upon prodding her fingers she located thoracic facet joint pain and applied three needles into my spine. Still no relief. She is talking about going for a mammogram with reference to lymph glands causing pain in my right breast (but its not in my breast! it feels deeper than that). She has located part of my pain to be in my T6 and T7. Yet, I still feel sore inside. Inside meaning inside my ribcage - lungs? Yet doc said that lungs are fine. Been on painkillers and anti-inflammatories for 5 weeks now. No relief. I am at the end of my tether. What could be causing the pain? Meds are giving me stomach ache and wrists and knees are now also permanently sore - especially in the mornings or after sleep (I suspect because of the pills). Should I persist with pysio (she herself cannot pinpoint my pain). Aside with her treating the actual spine re thoracic facet inflammation, the front of my right side still hurts all the time. What should I do?
Answer 370 views

01 Jan 0001


I suggest that you consult an orthopaedic surgeon for an examination and a possible MRI of the thoracic spine. Any pressure or irritation of the nerves radiating from the spinal column can cause chronic pain and discomfort. Special investigation, like a MRI, will shed more light on the cause of your pain.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.