Question

Sore Knee/Cartilage
I am a 42-year old male who is very active - mainly tennis and cycling. I seem to have developed a problem with my left knee - it gets quite inflamed and I'm not sure exactly what is causing it. I had it checked late last year by an orthopaedic surgeon. He said he suspected it was a cartilage and I would need to have a scope done. I then rested it for awhile and then resumed normal activity without a problem for the past two months. Suddenly last week it flared up again.

I don't want to have the scope because it involves a general anasthetic - I would do it under a local. Is that possible - is there any other way to repair the knee if it is a cartilage?

AW, I’m sure if you ask the orthopaedic surgeon he can organise to have it done under spinal anaesthesia. He will be able to make a diagnosis and fix it there and then if it’s just an uneven cartilage. Good luck.