Ask an expert

25 Feb 2003

Sore Knee/Cartilage
I am a 42-year old male who is very active - mainly tennis and cycling. I seem to have developed a problem with my left knee - it gets quite inflamed and I'm not sure exactly what is causing it. I had it checked late last year by an orthopaedic surgeon. He said he suspected it was a cartilage and I would need to have a scope done. I then rested it for awhile and then resumed normal activity without a problem for the past two months. Suddenly last week it flared up again.

I don't want to have the scope because it involves a general anasthetic - I would do it under a local. Is that possible - is there any other way to repair the knee if it is a cartilage?
Answer 343 views

01 Jan 0001

AW, I’m sure if you ask the orthopaedic surgeon he can organise to have it done under spinal anaesthesia. He will be able to make a diagnosis and fix it there and then if it’s just an uneven cartilage. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.