Ask an expert

18 Dec 2002

Sore upper back and muscles on the right

For a few days now I have a problem with my upper back. The pain is mostly on the right side in the shoulder and sometimes moving into my upper arm making it very sore and sensitive it also moves in to neck making it very hard to look around. Can you please advice on what the problem may be and some advise on preventing or treating the pain. This make sleeping also very hard due to the fact that I can't get into a position and stay there. I had a back problem when I was younger with my back growing to the right side of the body but has sinse recovered. I am now 25 and the back problem started when I was only 13.

Thank you
Jaco Nel
Answer 346 views

01 Jan 0001

Jaco, I can’t say for sure what the problem is without being able to examine you, but it sounds like a back muscle spasm to me. The best would be to take an anti-inflammatory drug like Arthrotec®, Brufen®, Celebrex®, etc. If it doesn’t clear up within 3days you can go for physiotherapy or see your doctor. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18768 votes