Ask an expert

08 Jul 2010

Sperm Texture Worry
Hi Doctor,

I posted a couple of months ago saying that i noticed that my sperm sample had changed from a very

''thick''''white''''clumpy'' texture to a more liquid and clear texture and this was worrying me.

I took quite a knock to the testes with a cricket ball last year. Went to a GP at the time and he

told me that it is all fine an that they can take quite a large amount of stress but don''t bruise like normal tissue so they take longer to heal.

Between now and last year is when i noticed the change (it is not something that I think to look at so can''t really give exacts). In response to my post you said that i should get a Sperm Count test done. I have subsequently done that. I am not able to interpret the results though.

Do you suggest that i see a specialist or can the consistancy change from time to time? I would not know where to find a specialist. Is there anyone you can reccommend in or close to the Cape Town CBD area?

These were the results that i was given by Pathcare:

Abstinence: 3 Days
Time after colection 1 Hour (was on site)
Appearance Normal Colour
Viscosity 0.5cm
Volume 3.5ml
Sperm Count 33.0 Mill/ml
Motility < 30% (Flagged as Low)
Mean frw.progression 2 (Normal)
Leucocytes 4
Normal Forms 2% (Flagged as Low)
Amorphous 97%
Tapered 1%

This has been worrying me for a few months now and would appreciate some guidance. Also is there anything that can be done to help in this case?

I am a 25 year old male

Thanks in advance

Answer 3,015 views
Fertility expert
Fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Murray

I would strongly suggest that you see a urologist however I would try and give you some advice or explanation on your semen analysis that you have posted. Your sperm volume and sperm count appear normal. However the sperm motility is low which means the function of the sperm to swim to appropriate site is inhibited and in addition the number of normal forms are only 2%. That means 98% of your sperm appear to have an abnormal shape and this would indicate a poor quality sperm sample. sperm samples such as these have an association with a low potential for fertility and therefore will certainly contribute to male factor infertility. I would suggest that you see your urologist to ascertain if there are any factors possible clinically that may be rectified to improve these sperm parameters. If he is unable to help you or if he feels that it cannot be rectified then you may require assisted reproductive techniques when you and your partner are trying to have a baby together.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.