Question

spinal tumour
I had a non malignant tumour removed from my spinal cord a month ago. Driving is difficult. I cannot believe how long I am taking to recover, although surgeon says 2-3 months and I'm doing great. However, I used to go to gym every day and now losing muscle tone. Any exercises esp for stomach I can do and not harm my spine? Apparently tumour was huge and pushing my pelvic bones forward, beteen 4th and 5th Lumbar I think they call it? 4 hour op.My one leg became paralysed and I collapsed totally.I also get tired very quickly. Basically I am getting frustrated at time of recovery.
rehabilitation after injury

Dear Lea

The tumour and surgery probably caused your body a great amount of stress and you need to allow it time to recover, albeit frustrating. Working with a therapist will help you feel better about the slow recovery and focus on little achievements, rather than the end goal. If you are looking for pelvic and abdominal exercises, I suggest you seek the advice of a biokineticist, who will assess your current strengths and weaknesses and provide you with specific exercises for you. Also, working one-on-one with someone means you get taught the correct technique – vital in getting results when it comes to pelvic and spinal stability exercise. You may consider joining a beginners Pilates class, which would focus on these spinal and pelvic muscles.