Question

sport and weight management
I am 40 years old (female). I enjoy a healthy and active life. I swim 2 kms 3 times a week (varied programme), and 3 times a week for an hour. I find that the weight is creeping on, picked up about 4 kgs. My lifestyle has changed drastically in that time aswell. New job, new town, new eating habits. I know all the rules and right stuff. Just find am hungry and have cravings for stuff like brown bread and peanut butter!! Also have a health store in our building, and head straight for the nuts!! I dont eat a lot or any meat really. I do eat lots of fruit and veg. Just need to know how and when to eat correctly to NOT put on, I should be losing weight now, now putting on!! 11pm and 2pm, the hunger!!!
I know weigh less well, but dont think that its enough food for the level of exercise that I do?

Dear Dealea
I think you need to change your snacking habits because you are using nuts to satisfy your hunger pangs and nuts are very rich in fats. Fat provides 9 cal per gram, while protein and carbs only provide 4 cal per gram - quite a difference! So eat your brown bread with fat-free cottage cheese or marmite or even a scraping of jam or honey to provide your body with lower energy carbs instead of the high-fat nuts. Eat fruit or Provitas instead of the nuts and if you eat nuts, have smaller portions. The other factors you list such as the new job and town could be putting a lot of stress on you and you may be turning to food for comfort. Try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), together with your swimming. Also click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read to articles I have written on carbohydrates and proteins for Sportsmen and women to get an idea of how important carbs are for sustained energy when you are physically active.