Question

SPORT IN GENERAL
? PATRIOTISM NOT AT THE SAME LEVEL AS 20 YEARS AGO

Dear OEBIE,
You may be right, particularly within some parts of society. But I notice a problem within the idea many people have of patriotism and in the way the cricket team's problems are dealt with ( or, rather, are not dealt with ).
Patriotism does NOT mean "My country right or wrong" --- instead, it means you care enough about the country to criticize where things are going wrong, and push for a proper inquiry to understand what's wrong, and what's the best solution, and then to see that the best solution is carried out. TOo many people fel it's unpatriotic to ever criticize a government --- on the contrary it's highly unpatriotic NOT to do so.
Similarly, where the cricket team made such a comprehensive mess-up in mismanaging the tournament and the game, people who are true supporters will be critical, and will insist that we examine and understand exacly what went wrong, and put it right. I am troubled when I see senior cricketers saying, irritably " Yes, there was a miscommunicaton, and a miscalculation, and a lousy set of strategic decisions --- but lets not talk about that, let's just get on with playing the game." Understanding and avoiding such miscalculations and bad srategies are a vital part of playing the game. A team and a sport that cannot learn from its mistakes, is doomed to accumulating failures.