Question

Squash - agony after restart
Are there any dietary supplements for energy and stamina available? I have started playing again after 12 years, am 41 years old, in good physical condition and would like to master the game again. I do need some help though. I play for 1 hour, 5 times a week and would like to increase the pressure a bit to 1 1/2 to 2 hours per session. I do not suffer from stiffness at all after games or next day, but would like to increase post game energy defficiency. Please help! I live in Umtata in the Eastern Cape and we do not have nutritional specialists available
Sports Nutrition
Sport nutrition

Dear Wessel,

A squash session of 1 1/2 to 2 hours has a huge energy requirement. Playing 5 days in a row will seriuosly deplete your glycogen stores and leave you with no energy. Here are a few guidelines.

Eat 5 to 6 small meals during the day.
Ensure that all the macronutrients (fats, proteins, carbs) are represented in each meal. This will stabilise your blood sugar and give you protein for repair and recovery (carbs are good at that too).

Your energy ratio should be 55% of energy from carbs, 25% from protein and 20% from fat.
Make sure the fat is low in saturated fats (for heart health).
Take an anti-oxidant - squash is a stressful game
Take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement.
Sip on a carbohydrate drink during the game.
Have a small meal directly after the game, or at least one hour after you come off the court. This will help with recovery and restore the glycogen levels in your muscles and liver.