Question

statin/blood pressure meds and endurance sport

I read that some of the side effect of statins and the hypertension meds causes muscle aches. I am currently on amloc &  losartan for my hypertension and simvastatin for my cholesterol. I train relatively well for mid distance running i.e. 21km half marathon but no matter how hard i train i always seem to cramp after the 11km mark. does my meds have any role in this?

really hope that you can shed some lights for me.

thanks
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Hi David

Although research published in this area is limited, it appears that some individuals (a small percentage) who take statin medications experience a greater incidence of muscle pain and discomfort with exercise. There is suggestive evidence that these drugs may reduce muscle strength in older patients and alter energy metabolism during aerobic exercise. Should you believe that your cramp is related to your medicine I'd suggest discussing it with you prescribing doctor.

All the best!