Question

Stents
Dear Dr
This is not a question about a health problem, but something I am quite curious about: have a friend who is a rep for a company who manufactures stents. Whenever we are in a crowd, she tells stories about how she inserts the stents during surgery. I feel too badly to insinuate that she is lying, but find it strange that a rep would be allowed in theatre to assist the doctor. Do you know if this is indeed the case? Kind regards S

Sadly, it appears that this sort of thing does happen, though I consider it grossly unprofessional of the surgeons who allow this, and if anything were to go wrong they'd all be in dreadful trouble. I've heard persistent rumours about reps selling various surgical gadgets, who not only should never be allowed within the operating theatre, but indeed being encouraged to help use the apparatus. They should be arrested and struck off the register promptly