Question

Sterilization
5 years ago I tied my tube, now I would like to have another baby. Is there any hope for me or should I forget about having a baby. I' ve heard of Tubal Anastomisis. How does it work? Where can it be done? How much does it cost.
Are there any other options available beside Tubal Anastomosis?
fertility expert

Dear Sunshine

There are 2 options available when one has had a sterilization and want to have another baby. The first is a tubal reanastomosis and the second is in-vitro fertilization. Tubal reanastomosis is not always possible in patients and it depends entirely on the type of sterilization that was done and the length of the fallopian tube that may be available to form a reanastomosis. The cost of reversal of sterilization would be in the region of R 20 000 and R30 000. The alternative to a tubal reanastomosis is in-vitro fertilization and the average success rate for in-vitro fertilization is approximately 40% and the cost will also be in the region of R20 000 to R30 000.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo