Ask an expert

01 Aug 2006

STI Tests - Urgent!!!
I was recently tested for HIV and came back negative.

I now want to go for other STI tests - what is the best way to do this?? Blood tests? Urine Tests? Pap smear?

I was told that when I go for my pap smear again (which is due this week Friday) they can do a vaginal swab and are supposed to be able to run tests for all STIs that way - is this true? I want them to test for eveything and I want an accurate result!

I also asked about getting my BF tested before we sleep together and the doc said it wasn't neccessary unless he has symptoms!?! That can't be right??? Don't some infections lie dormant??
Answer 294 views

01 Jan 0001

If you want to be tested for everything, you would need a swab and blood tests. you are right that some infections lie dormant, so your boyfriend should be tested as well.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9265 votes
66% - 17846 votes