Ask an expert

22 Aug 2007

Stitch like pains
Hi Doc

In the beginning of the year I had a fairly severe bladder infection which I only went and got sorted out after a few months. I was put on anti biotics and it seemed to sort itself out. However I still did not have as strong a flow of urine as I used to and went back to the doc who found I still had a slight infection and put me back on anti biotics. My urine flow improved, but together with my "ejaculation" strength has never quite returned to it former glory! Anyway, 2 weeks ago I started getting stich like pains in my lower back, not severe, but uncomfortable. These stitches would then occur under my rib cage and just under my chest. Also not severe, but uncomfortable. I went back to the doc, gave him symptoms. He did another urine test, but there is no infection. He also put me BACK on the same anti biotics as he thought maybe the infection was deeper and told me to see a urologist. I am only able to get an appointment 3 September and I am concerned I may have something more severe like cancer or something. Should I wait till 3 September to see the urologist or should I be very concerned? I am 32.
Answer 343 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Concerned
I think you can wait until 3 September if you don't have blood in your urine - you could have chronic prostatitis.
We normally see bladder cancer in older patients.

Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.