Question

Stomach ulcer
I have a stomach ulcer, but enjoys exercising a lot. Is crunches still allowed?

Dear Lyn
I am sorry to hear that you have a stomach ulcer and I trust that the dr has prescribed the necessary medication for your condition? The problem with doing any type of exercise which can influence acid pushing up in your oesophagus, is that this may make your symptoms worse. I would suggest that you do one or two crunches and monitor how you feel. If you develop indigestion or heartburn immediately afterwards, then it would be advisable to avoid crunches and any other exercises that affect the abdominal area or for example, require your head to be lower than your stomach so that you can avoid acid reflux. First heal the ulcer and then get back to your full exercise programme.
I hope you soon feel better.