Question

Stomach Ulcer
Thanks for your reply regarding my exercises. Just one more question: Some people say that mushrooms help with ulcers, others say I must avoid them. What is true?

Dear Lyn
Patients suffering from stomach and/or duodenal ulcers tend to react to certain foods, but each patient has individual reactions, so one ulcer patient may find that eating mushrooms causes discomfort, while another patient will be able to eat mushrooms without a problem. Once again, you would need to do a little experiment to find out how YOU react to mushrooms and if you do find that they cause pain or winds, to avoid them. If you try eating mushrooms, cook them with as little fat as possible because mushrooms tend to absorb lots of butter or oil when they are being cooked and the high fat content can make your ulcer symptoms worse. In general eating low-fat foods will cause less gastric irritation than eating very fatty foods.