Question

Stopped smoking and am gaining and gaining weight
I stopped smoking in May 2001. Have gained 7kg since. My diet has NOT changed. I exercise far more now than when I smoked. I run 5km every second day and work out with weights at the gym every other day. But my guts just keeps growing. I feel bloated all the time and have a distended stomach most of the time because of the bloat. I can starve myself for 3-4 days and still not lose one gram of weight. Whats my problem?

Hi there

Smoking does increase your metabolic rate somewhat and so a 2kg or so weight gain, over a month or so after stopping smoking is normal. However 7kg+, sounds excessive particularly as you say that your diet hasn't changed. Furthermore, the bloating is a concern and might show some intolerance to certain foodstuffs. Your best bet is to visit a well-renowned dietician and for her/him to carefully assess your diet and to give you advice. Starving yourself is the worst thing to do, since it will shut down your metabolism even more, which is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Please keep up the regular exercise which will provide you with enormous benefits and CONGRATULATIONS on stopping smoking. This is the best health choice you could have made!