Question

Stopped smoking and gaining weight
I stopped smoking in May 2001. Have gained 7kg since. My diet has NOT changed. I exercise far more now than when I smoked. But my guts just keeps growing. I feel bloated all the time and have a distended stomach most of the time because of the bloat. I can starve myself for 3-4 days and still not lose one gram of weight. Whats my problem?

Dear Reader
Firstly congratulations for giving up smoking, this is a great step in the right direction. Unfortunately smoking interferes with normal metabolism, so when you stop, you actually start using the energy in the food more economically. Usually this effect wears off and most people lose the weight they gain immediately after stopping. Instead of starving which makes the body switch off its weight loss mechanisms, I would suggest that you cut down on fat intake by eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Food' and then on 'Weight Loss' and 'Slimming Diet'). Keep up the good work with the exercise and ask your instructor or Fitness Doc for a set of targeted exercises for your tum.
Take care