Question

strange question
Hi everybody,
My brother has a border collie, I think he is about 8 or 9 years of age. Lately I have noticed that his head has become a funny shape, full of 'knoppe' and his eyes seems 'sunken'. A bit dificult to explain...... he seems to be healthy, eats well, lost a bit of weight but not skinny, runs and plays as usual, but limps after too much playing and then we stop playing.
It feels and looks to me as if his skull shrunk?!?
I hope I am making sense?
Would like to know any ideas Cybervet??
cybervet

This sounds like atrophy of the masticatory muscles - the chewing muscles has become smaller for some reason. Can the dog still open his mouth alright? Does he yawn wide? The limping can be due to arthritis that becomes more painful as exercise increases.