Question

Stres or Anorexia
Hi dietdoc HELP
I'm worried about my mother - she's been through a mid-life crisis and she suddenly started to become obsessed with jogging and she doesn't eat! She says she doesn't hav an appetite and that she's to stressed to eat! I've supported her in every way I can and she's recovered from her depressing state, but now she tries to eat and everything just comes out (throughs up). I don't think it's bulimia because she doesn't try to hide it and I'm not sure it's anorexia because she says she really craves the food but her throat hurts (because of her stomach flouids), but she seems to show all the simptoms of an eating disorder - she just looks at her food, cuts it in little pieces, eats 2 small bites and then asks to be excused because she feels naushios! I'm really worried because she's losing weight quickly, which is good - but in a unhealthy way ! What's wrong with her plz?

Dear Worried
I think your concern is warranted. From your description your dear Mom seems to have an eating disorder. I would recommend that you contact one of the clinics that treat such disorders: Western Cape - Kenilworth Clinic - (021) 797-1400; Gauteng: Netcare Rehabilitation (011) 489-1111; KwaZulu-Natal - Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911. Your Mom needs the support of experts at this stage, so get help fast.