Question

Stress and Panic attacks
Hi there

My job has recently become very stressful. In my department there used to be 3 people (doing the work or 5 people) but one was fired and the other went on maternity leave.
I am now the only person left in the department doing all the work.

I suffer from panic attacks which are stress induced and I am on medication for this (antidepressants). In the last week they have been getting worse - I am shaky, jumpy, have sweating hands and feet, nausea, stomach cramps and I get angry and tearful very easily and quickly. I have also found that I am unable to sleep without taking a sleeping tablet now.

I have spoken to my boss about it and he says I can just work overtime (like on a Saterday) to catch up if I fall behind - but this doesnt help!

How do I explain my situation to them so that they will understand? What can I do to help me cope with the stress and lessen the panic attacks?

A little over a year ago I had a nervous breakdown due to stress and was booked off work for a month - I dont want that to happen again!

Please help!

Its obviously unreasonable for any company to expect one person to do the work of 3, let alone 5. Have you discussed with with your HR person / department ? Adding CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) counselling to meds could hwelp you gain better control over the panic and anxieties. But the compnay can't expect this situation to continue in the longer term, and must either reduce your workload to a reasonable level or take on extra maybe temporary staff to help with it