Question

Stress Incontinence
I suffer badly from stress incontinence, I think it is called, urine leakage when coughing etc. A friend told me she had read an article about the subject and there are two types of treatment available, an operation or the insertion of a tape, a new a much simpler treatment. Please could you let me know the details of both, is it done in a hospital or clinic and length of stay etc, anaesthetic required, procedure involved and, since I don't have medical aid, an approximate cost of each, if possible.

Many thanks

Lizzie, they’re both operations and the “tape” operation is done when the bladder has “moved down”. You will be in the hospital for less than a week; it is done under general anaesthesia and the costs involved depends mainly on the hospital. The urologist you’re going to see will be able to give you more detail. Good luck.