Ask an expert

15 Mar 2004

Stress Incontinence
I suffer badly from stress incontinence, I think it is called, urine leakage when coughing etc. A friend told me she had read an article about the subject and there are two types of treatment available, an operation or the insertion of a tape, a new a much simpler treatment. Please could you let me know the details of both, is it done in a hospital or clinic and length of stay etc, anaesthetic required, procedure involved and, since I don't have medical aid, an approximate cost of each, if possible.

Many thanks
Answer 322 views

01 Jan 0001

Lizzie, they’re both operations and the “tape” operation is done when the bladder has “moved down”. You will be in the hospital for less than a week; it is done under general anaesthesia and the costs involved depends mainly on the hospital. The urologist you’re going to see will be able to give you more detail. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9250 votes
66% - 17781 votes