Question

stressed
How long is it supposed to take for a person to get over the death of a family member on average?
I''m asking this bcos ever since my mom passed on last year July I''m still not back to normal. Since then I feel exhausted, and I get so emotional over little things. I don''t look forward to come to work or to do anything.. I''m just exhausted, I suffer from a constipation quite a lot, I''ve gained weight , I eat lot and shop a lot which makes me feel better for a short period of time, but guilty afterwards.
I don''t know what to do , I thought by now things will be back to normal , all my sisters seems to be fine. I haven''t told anyone about this, except for immidiately after her death I told my husband about the nightmares I used to have, but they have stopped. He actually thinks I''m over it now, but he only complains about the libido that I don''t have anymore. Doctor help me , I want to be a happy person again.

There are no set rules. SO much depends on the circumstances, the nature of the relationship, and one's own personality. FOr most people it requires at least 9 months to a year, and can be longer. There is a istinction to be made between grief / bereavement and depression, but a depression can arise in such situations, and can respond well to treatment, by medication and/or counselling / therapy.
Do at least consider seeing a counsellor with experience in this field, as you can indeed again become a happy person, and able to remember your mom with happiness, and not only with sadness