Question

Stretching for Sprinting
Hello,
I damaged my Right Hamstring during Sprints.
I did however do the Routine Stretches for Quads && Hamstrings
before Running.
I also Ran 3 slow Laps of 400m before Attempting Sprinting.
Is there Any Advice that I should Heed before I Attempt Sprinting
Again.
Thanks for Your Advice.

Hi Mani

Well, first you must make very sure that your muscle strain is properly healed. Hamstring and calf muscle injuries can be especially troublesome, because even standing and walking around uses them so it's quite difficult to rest them completely. So be sure that you are fully recovered before trying again. Physio is probably the best way, you may need some massage and ultrasound, if the muscle was torn, then a scar forms and that 'scar' inside the muscle is often responsible for chronic pain weeks or months after the actual injury, and physio can address this.

Once you start training again, the most important thing is to increase the muscle strength. Generally, hamstrings tear because they lengthen during a contraction and if the muscle is not strong enough, then it can't resist this lengthening sufficiently and it tears. So it's vital that you improve the strength. Leg curls will help, squats, leg press and lunges are also good. As for what you should do before, you are correct, it is important to gradually increase running speed. So doing a few laps of jogging, some light stretching is suggested. You need to build up, so perhaps instead of just slow running then sprinting, you should do the slow running, followed by some mild sprinting at about 50% of maximum, then 60, 70 and 80% and then you should be ready to go.

But, all of this is relatively ineffective if you are not strong enough, so make sure you address the strength of the muscle.