Ask an expert

01 Aug 2007

Stroke Damage
My mother in law had mutiple strokes over a period of time. She ended up in hospital. According to the doctor the cells on the one side of her brain are all dead. She can communicate, but only one way. She can ask questions and tell you something, but she do not understand or hear anything that you reply. At the moment she is at home, where we need to take care of her. Please give me more information on how to take care of someone like that and what we can do to help her get that cells "alive" again.
Answer 296 views
Handicap Expert
Handicap Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Michelle

Thank you for visiting

Unfortunately, there is no proven medication that will assist in getting the cells alive again. Recovery is time dependant. Hopefully, she will improve with time.

Taking care of a person with multiple strokes, depends on the person's mobility. Please be so kind as to elaborate on this, in order for me to give advice to you.

It is essential to focus efforts on body parts moving, in order for her to be kept strong and physically healthy as possible. Physiotherapy will be the core treatment for her.

On receipt of your reply, the matter will receive my further attention.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9251 votes
66% - 17789 votes