Question

Struggle to lose tummy weight
Dear Doc

I am 29, of average weight relative to my height (1.55 metres and 50kg) but have an excess of weight around my stomach area, which I cannot seem to lose. I have even been mistaken for being pregnant becuase it is only my stomahc where I have some excess fat. I have a two year old, so any pregnancy weight gain should have disappeared by now.

For the past two months, I have tried following a low GI diet, with small regular meals, have cut out sweets, cakes etc, drinking more water and have been exercising for thirty minutes to an hour 3-4 days a week (cycling, jogging, pilates). Despite this, after two months I have only lost a kilo (shifting from 51 to 50kg) and my stomach remains the same. Any suggestions?

Dear Meee
In view of the fact that your present BMI = 20,8 which is already well below the female ideal of 22 (weight 53 kg), the weight in your stomach area is certainly not due to you being overweight! You are already doing everything correctly. The only thing I can suggest is that you ask your pilates instructor to help you concentrate on your tummy muscles which may need to be tightened up. If you still don't see a difference in cm after a month of targeted tummy exercises, liposuction is probably a solution. Make sure that if you consider having liposuction that you consult a surgeon who specialises in this technique.